Thursday, January 24, 2013

He Gives and Takes Away


“The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; may the name of the Lord be praised.” Job 1:21

For many people, myself included, when you talk about the Lord giving and taking away the focus is usually on the taking away part. For most of us, we struggle to bless the name of the Lord when times are hard and when He takes away.

But I also struggle with blessing the name of the Lord when He gives. Because sometimes I take His gifts and I cherish them more than I cherish Him.

When things are hard, I have to rely on the Lord and not on my own strength. I am daily forced on my knees and into His Word.
But when times are good, when the Lord gives, it’s easier for me to rely on my own self-sufficiency. I delude myself into thinking that I have it all figured out and that I am doing things right.

When the Lord gives me good things, I am tempted to find my joy in His gifts rather than allowing the joy of the Lord to be my strength!

So how do I choose to bless the name of the Lord when He gives?

I don’t know exactly.

But I know this: It is far better for me to rely on the strength of Lord than my own self-sufficiency.

So right about when you start thinking you’ve got your life together, you better think twice!

Jesus loves you way too much to let you pursue worldly things that He knows won't satisfy you in the end.

So be careful in times of blessing.
Do not forget the One who has blessed you.

And in all circumstances, when the Lord GIVES and when the Lord takes away, let your heart CHOOSE to say,

 “Lord, blessed be Your name.”

No comments:

Post a Comment